Night Report 2014-11-15
Observers: Mathew Smith, Rob Firth & Georgios Dimitriadis
TAT: Kate Maguire, Lluís Galbany
Non photometric night: Scattered clouds and seeing >1".
14 Nov: EFOSC2 spectroscopy and imaging. Full details can be found here:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nv2ornZc2zBThl_y2XxjjgPGJmti3sbmNctUDZ8wQY0
- 19:30UT - we have control of the telescope! No overhead clouds, but there are clouds behind the 3.6m
- 20:00UT - 2x PESSTO_bias & 1x PESSTO_calib
- 21:15UT - The telescope start-up begins
- 23:00UT - UPDATE: There are now some clouds overheads…. We start with spectroscopy, so will see how things progress
- 23:20UT - Sunset
- 23:30UT - Skyflats: BR (it's cloudy, but I've got a telescope to play with). These are probably cloud flats.
- 23:50UT - SPECTROSCOPIC STANDARD: Feige 110: Seeing 2.0", Airmass 1.10
- 00:10UT - ASASSN-14jb: Followup with gm11 for 2100s: Seeing 1.9", Airmass 1.01. The 1.5" slit was employed.
- 00:50UT - CSS140925-223344-062208: Followup with gm13 for 2x2700s: Seeing 1.3" (from image), Airmass 1.15. This is done with the 1.0" slit
- 02:30UT - Image analysis (the seeing is ~1.2")
- 03:00UT - OGLE-2014-SN-139: Classification for 900s: Seeing 1.2", Airmass 1.3 (this is named as OGLE-14-SN-139 in the OB)
- 03:15UT - OGLE-2014-SN-131: Classification with gm16 for 2x1800s: Seeing 0.9", Airmass 1.5. ONLY 1 of two is completed.
- Exposure 1 reads out fine - the feature at 6350A appears real, and there may be more emission at 8600
- 04:15UT - exposure 2 finishes and the NTT crashes due to an electrical failure. The telescope apparently smells of smoke….(the 2nd exposure is lost)
- We lose an hour and a half
- 05:40UT - We have the telescope back, so we do the flats for OGLE-2014-SN-131. There are 2 two of these as the first is done without the calibration unit in!
- 06:00UT - SPECTROSCOPIC STANDARD: L745a: Seeing 0.7", Airmass 1.28
- 06:30UT - SN2013fc: Follow-up in UBVRi: Seeing 0.7", Airmass 1.30
- 07:40UT - PHOT STD: RU149 (UBVRigrz): Seeing 0.7", Airmass 1.16
- 07:50UT - OGLE-2014-SN-141: Classification for 900s: Seeing 0.7", Airmass 1.48
- 08:10UT - OGLE-2014-SN-135: Classification for 900s. Seeing 0.9", Airmass 1.50
- 08:40UT - SPECTROSCOPIC STANDARD: L745a: Seeing 0.8", Airmass 1.02
- 08:50UT - PESSTO_calib (arcs only)
- 09:10UT - DONE FOR THE RUN
CERRADO POR EL NOCHE!
- ASASSN-14jb: Type IIP @ z=0.006 @ +11days (SNID)
- CSS140925-223344-062208: Type IIP @ z=0.03 @ +7 (SNID)
- OGLE-2014-SN-139: SN Ia @ z=0.066 @ -2 (SNID)
- OGLE-2014-SN-131: The emission feature at 6350A is real, and there may be emission at 8600A. We cannot conclusively type this object, but hopefully combining the 2 spectra will help. If it's at z=0.31, then a late time Ic is not a terrible fit, but we clearly aren't convinced.
- OGLE-2014-SN-141: SN Ia-91T like @ z=0.062 @ -5 (SNID)
- OGLE-2014-SN-135: SN Ia @ z=0.063 @ +3 (SNID)
ATEL SUBMITTED FOR OGLE-2014-SN-131, OGLE-2014-SN-139, OGLE-2014-SN-141, OGLE-2014-SN-145 (http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=6706)