Night Report 2014-11-14
Observers: Georgios Dimitriadis, Mathew Smith & Rob Firth
TAT: Kate Maguire, Lluís Galbany
14 Nov: SOFI (spectroscopy & photometry) and EFOSC2 night. There are 4 viable SOFI targets (ASASSN-14jb, ASASSN-14il, SN2014cx, LSQ14fxj) and weather and overhead permitting we hope to get through 3 of them. Full details can be found here:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w03gThvW_rlEiPckp57y-QqmuwodRn_LTok9TBDLkM4
- 19:30UT - we have control of the telescope! No overhead clouds, but there are clouds on the horizon. It's winder than previous afternoons, but not terrible.
- 20:00UT - 1x PESSTO_bias & 1x PESSTO_calib
- 20:30UT - SOFI_FlatJHK, SOFI_flatspec, SOFI_specarc
- 21:15UT - The telescope start-up begins
- 23:20UT - Sunset (no skflats as we're using SOFI)
- Conditions: Clouds behind the NTT are slightly menacing, but they might keep away. Clear overhead. No wind.
- 23:50UT - Image analysis
- 00:00UT - SOFI SPECTROSCOPIC STANDARD: Feige 110: Seeing 1.1", Airmass 1.10
- At this stage it seems that the slit is not aligned correctly. We reset the system and it persists….
- Apparently this is a reported (and unsolvable) issue. Thus
- SOFI SPECTROSCOPIC STANDARD: Feige 110: Seeing 1.1", Airmass 1.05
- 01:00UT - ASASSN-14jb: JHK imaging. Seeing 1.0", Airmass 1.07
- 01:30UT - ASASSN-14jb: Blue arm: Seeing 0.95", Airmass 1.12
- The slit might not be properly aligned, but trace moves by ~4 pixels, and this is a reported (and unsolvable) issue, so we push on.
- After 9 of 12 exposures we lose the guide star and abort the OB.
- 02:40UT - HIP118115 (telluric for ASASSN-14jb). Seeing 0.9, Airmass 1.18. (Due to an oversight this has EXPOSURE_NAME=OBJ_NAME)
- 02:50UT - LSQ14fxj: JHK deep imaging. Seeing 0.9", Airmass 1.20
- 04:05UT - TO BE IGNORED - ASASSN-14il: JHK imaging: Seeing 1.0", Airmass 1.60
- Due to a problem with the system this observation is at at ra=00:00:00, dec=00:00:00! IGNORE IT
- 04:15UT - ASASSN-14il: Blue & Red arms: Seeing 0.9", Airmass 1.2
- 05:10UT - ASASSN-14il: JHK imaging: Seeing 1.0", Airmass 1.54
- 05:20UT - HIP7060 (telluric for ASASSN-14il): Seeing 0.74", Airmass 1.27
- 05:30UT - SWITCH TO EFOSC2!
- 05:40UT - OGLE-2014-SN-131: Classification for 1500s: Seeing 0.7", Airmass 1.66 (I want it!)
- 06:15UT - EFOSC SPECTROSCOPIC STANDARD: L745a: Seeing 0.75", Airmass 1.21
- 06:30UT - EFOSC PHOTOMETRIC STANDARD: RU129: Seeing 0.8", Airmass 1.32
- 06:35UT - Image analysis
- 06:45UT - LSQ14efd: Followup in BVRi: Seeing 0.8", Airmass 1.2
- 07:45UT - ASASSN-14ha: Followup in U (we don't have u'): Seeing 0.5", Airmass 1.2
- 07:55UT - LSQ14gaz: Classification for 1500s: Seeing 0.6", Airmass 1.1
- 08:30UT - EFOSC PHOTOMETRIC STANDARD: RU149: Seeing 0.8", Airmass 1.32
- 08:45UT - EFOSC SPECTROSCOPIC STANDARD: L745a: Seeing 0.7", Airmass 1.02
- 08:55UT - PESSTO_calib (arcs only)
CERRADO POR EL NOCHE!
- OGLE-2014-SN-131: A very blue spectrum with wiggles. We cannot currently classify this.
- LSQ14gaz: A very red spectrum with strong absorption. I suspect this is a star, but we cannot conclusively type it.
NO ATEL DUE TO UNCERTAIN CLASSIFICATIONS