features for each of the Marshall aims were last re-ordered to reflect their order of priority on 2013-05-07.
" = Low priority features that may or may not get implemented.
Aims, Status & Feature requests
Aim 1: Eliminating the need to manually trawl the internet and mailing lists for new transient alerts by **auto ingesting and cross correlating transient source metadata** from across the web.
- CRTS (SSS, MLS, CSS)
- ATels (names and coordinates)
- Bright SN List
- Atels that have no associated object in marshall?
- In-house Machine Classification - use QUB Transient Classifier to add valuable contextual information
- RA & DEC Search:
- Add postage stamps from PS1 (better coverage than SDSS) to show pre-discovery imaging
- Tell user when a duplicate is entered (after the form is submitted)
- Links to Vizier, NED etc
- A form for 'amateur' astronomers to submit their discoveries
- Confirmation of classification of AA objects - credit given to the first discoverer
Aim 2: Provide an intuitive, simple workflow for moving transient sources around various lists, each representing a phase of the pessto observational campaign for the objects.
- Workflow now fairly mature with fewer reports of bugs
- Users now familiar and comfortable with the workflow
- Labels show the associated lists an individual object can be found in
- A label showing the PI(s) for an individual object
- Firefox / Safari compatibility
- Responsive design for those using the pages on smaller screens / low resolution screens (e.g. at La Silla)
- Sort on columns (mag, last obs, first obs, RA, object age)
- Display the history of an object - when it was ingested, updated, moved, classified, observed etc.
- A simple table view to give a clearer summary view of each list
- Drag and drop capability to move a ticket into another list
- A crumb trail link that will explode all associated object URLs into new background tabs of your browser
- include mailto: links on each object ticket to request time on other partner survey telescopes (SMARTS, WiFeS, Gemini etc)
Aim 3: Provide the tools and functions required to add and edit various forms of metadata to each object, including text comments, images and FITS files.
- comments included and bugs fixed
- Make the various parameters and object attributes editable within the web-interface (i.e. no need to email Dave)
- Upload form / drag and drop capability for each object ticket to included FITS files and images and other attachments to individual objects
- A top level status comment for PIs to updated
Aim 4: Provide automated helper tools for observers including a finder chart builder, observeability plots, priority lists, OBs, PDF views, plain text tables etc.
- Ability to sort is present but awkward
- Finder charts manually linked from the wiki
- Develop a priority scheduler for the followup and classification target lists
- Implement Andrea’s automated ranking score given for each object - a traffic light system to quickly tell good candidates from semi-rubbish ones.
- The ability to manually change the priority (overriding APs ranking system) of the object shall be included.
- constantly update object priorities (that change with time: younger = better) and cadence of observations for each object, rescheduling targets based on this information.
- Auto-created finder charts, with blind off-sets etc
- PDF export
- Plain text view/export of the various object lists
- Ability to auto generated ATel text based on objects selected.
- Auto-generate the OBs for each object
- Fix SDSS image issue (have server save the images and browsers cache)
- Make lightcurve plots - either our own or pull in jpegs linked from html pages. data taken from feeder surveys & a form for pessto members to add extra points
- Setup automated replication of the Marshall DB, Webpages and data with Trieste.
- Automate the ESO required end-of-run excel observer reports
- Sky map of targets - objects hyperlinked to entry in html table.
Aim 5: Act as a mediator between the NTT Pipeline, the IA2 archive and WiseRep.
- Marshall-IA2 MySQL Replication functioning
- Code to ingest and associate NTT Pipeline output with PESSTO objects 50% complete
- write a script to automatically download data from eso
- automate delivery of fast/final spectra to IA2 and WiseRep
- provide links from the Marshall tickets to images on WiseRep and data in IA2
- produce an automated nightlog from the headers of the raw fits files downloaded from ESO
Aim 6: Provide a birds-eye view statistics pages of the pessto objects database including rates and plots.
- Some code in place for basic stats
- provide auto-updating plots of stats and rates
- provide quick download links for tarball of plots and ascii files of stats for presentations etc
- Absolute mag does not appear in either "Queued for ATEL" or "Classified" pages (for hosts where this is available)
- Very minor: Added LSQ12emi, added to observation targets, classified, selected "ATEL released". At some point, the target picked up a second alias. Currently in classified list.
- Aliases (AKA) do not appear under the primary when a duplicate is entered (so user has no idea where their object went)
- Can't see older comments for a target if they are longer than the height of the target's "box" in the Marshall (i.e. no scrolling option for comments).
Recently Fixed Bugs
- 20121123, 10:28 AM : Semi-colon in comment will truncate comment at that point!